1/4 cup of tahini
1/4 cup Greek yoghurt
1 tablespoon of sumac
1/2 red onion
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon caster sugar
1 bunch mint
Salt & pepper
Red chilli (to serve)
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Cut the eggplant in half and score the centre. Place the eggplant on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Season with one teaspoon of sumac over the eggplant. Cook for 30 minutes, or until the centre of the eggplant is soft.
2. Slice the red onion thinly and place in a small bowl. Cover with the red wine vinegar, caster sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt. Set aside for 15 minutes, or until the onion is a light pink colour.
3. To make the tahini yoghurt, place the tahini in a small bowl. Mix with 1/2 cup of water and the juice of one lemon. Mix well until you have a smooth consistency. Once the tahini is a smooth consistency, fold through the yogurt and season with salt and pepper and add in the remaining sumac.
4. To remove the pomegranate seeds, cut the pomegranate in half, hold one half of the pomegranate in the palm of your hand and with a wooden spoon hit the pomegranate until all the seeds fall out.
5. Place the sumac roasted eggplant on a wooden board or a platter, drizzle with tahini yogurt, place the pickled onion, pomegranate, mint and finely sliced red chilli (if using).